Questions and Answers
- Who do I contact if have any questions?
Call AccuQuote at 800-442-9899, during normal business hours, Monday – Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 7 p.m. and Saturday, 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. CST
- In which U.S. states is Disability Income Insurance available?
DI policies are available in 45 states (and the District of Columbia). We are currently working on offering disability insurance in the remaining five states (California, Florida, Montana, South Dakota and New York). Coverage is also not available in Puerto Rico.
- What is the definition of “Total Disability”?
“Total Disability” is defined as “being unable to perform the duties of your own occupation and not working in any occupation for which you are qualified by work, training or experience.”
- What if I only have a “Partial Disability”?
Having only a “partial disability,” we will pay you 50% of the monthly benefit for period not greater than 12 months.
- What ages qualify for a DI policy?
Disability insurance coverage is available to people between the ages of 18 and 60.
- Do I have to work in any particular type of occupation to qualify for DI?
No. We offer disability insurance to a wide variety of occupations. Most workers in most types of jobs can qualify.
- Do I need to produce financial documentation during the application process?
No. No personal financial documentation required when applying.
- What if I’m a smoker? Can I still apply for DI?
- What are DI payment options?
You can pay for you DI policy with a credit card (MasterCard, VISA, Discover and American Express), debit card, or checking account draft. Payments can be made on an annual, semi-annual, quarterly, or monthly basis.
- Can I change my mind?
Yes. You have a 30-day “free-look” period. If you change your mind within the first 30 days of the policy, you can cancel the policy and get a full refund.
- What is DIME and what does it mean?
DIME stands for “Disability Insurance Made Easy.” What our DIME calculator can do is simplify the DI purchasing process, so you can get the Disability Income Insurance you need…fast!
- How long does it takes before my DI benefits to begin?
Disability insurance typically begins after an elected waiting period (such as 90 days).
- How much will I receive each month in disability insurance if I qualify?
DI coverage will last until you are able to go back to work…or until your benefit period has been exhausted. AccuQuote offers 1-year, 2-year, 5-year, and “To Age 67” benefit periods.
- How long will my DI coverage last?
Coverage will last as long as your doctor verifies that you are not able to work…up to the benefit limits of your DI policy. AccuQuote offers 1-year, 2-year, 5-year, and “To Age 67” benefit periods.
- Can I still work even though I’m out on disability?
Yes. There is a “return to work” provision that would pay benefits following filing a total disability claim.
- How is “disability” defined for DI purposes?
AccuQuote offers the traditional “Modified Own Occupation”: “While under the care of a physician, you are unable to perform the material and substantial duties of our Own Occupation and not engaged in any other Gainful Occupation.”
- Is my DI policy “Guaranteed Renewable”?
Yes. An AccuQuote DI policy is “Guaranteed Renewable to Age 67.” In other words, your DI policy can’t be cancelled…as long as you pay your premiums. Your DI policy ends on the first policy anniversary on or after your 67th birthday.
- What’s the difference between Disability Insurance, Income Protection Insurance, and Paycheck Protection?
There is no difference. “Income Protection Insurance” and “Paycheck Protection” are alternative names for Disability Insurance.
- Does collecting SSDI (Social Security Disability Insurance) affect my DI policy benefit amount?
No. You can collect both.
- What is a COLA rider?
COLA (Cost of Living Adjustment) is a rider that can be added to your DI policy. This COLA rider triggers a CPI (Consumer Price Index) every 12 months from initial date of the disability. The COLA rider is not available with the 2-year benefit period.
- What insurance company is offering this type of DI policy, through our DIME calculator?
AccuQuote’s DI policies are underwritten by National Guardian Life Insurance Company. Established in 1910, National Guardian Life Insurance Company (NGL) is one of America’s most successful, independent mutual life insurance companies. As a mutual company, NGL is controlled by its policyholders and operate in their best long-term interests. While adhering to the highest standards of quality and integrity, NGL strives to demonstrate its commitment to its policyholders and their families. As a longtime leader in the industry, NGL believes in its mission to partner with customers to share life’s financial risks and rewards. It’s a privilege to serve policyholders and partners by offering high-quality products and providing superior customer service. Licensed to do business in 49 states and the District of Columbia, NGL offers disability income, preneed, individual life and annuities, as well as group markets products including specialty and student insurance. NGL continues to be one of the most highly-rated companies in the industry, consecutively rated A- (Excellent) by A.M. Best which reflects a stable outlook. The A- rating further attests to NGL’s financial strength and ability to meet policyholder obligations. Learn more at www.NGLIC.com.